We are Hiring for the following positions. Maintenance Technician , Court Liaison Deputy, Deputy Sheriff – Part-time School Resource Deputy, Information Technology (IT) - Entry Level, Deputy Sheriff - Juvenile, Deputy Sheriff - Court Liaison, Certified Deputy Sheriff - Patrol Division, Certified Deputy Sheriff - Civil Division, Certified Deputy Sheriff - School Resource Deputy , Detention Officers, For more information, visit our Career Page
208 West Rogers
El Reno, OK 73036

For emergencies dial 911
Office: (405) 262-3434

How do I Apply for a Handgun License

Handgun License Applicant Checklist

Please bring the following items with you when you are turning in your Self-Defense Act (SDA) Handgun Licensing paperwork:

  • Arrive at the SDA / Fingerprinting window at the Sheriff's Office main entrance between the hours of 8:00 am and 10:00 am. Monday - Friday. (excluding holidays)
  • The original signed training certificate from your SDA class or proof of training exemption. To see if you are exempt visit the OSBI Website
  • $100 (5 year) or $200(10 year) to OSBI. Must be: Money Order, or Cashier’s Check - No cash
  • $25 to the Canadian County Sheriff’s Office Must be: Cash (Exact Change), Money Order, or Cashier’s Check - No credit cards
  • A completed SDA application or you may pick up a SDA application at our Records window
  • A current Oklahoma driver license or state issued identification card with photograph that has an Oklahoma address showing you're a current Canadian County resident
  • Proof of US citizenship if you weren't born in the United States, like a United States Passport or Naturalization document or other acceptable valid evidence of US citizenship. If you're not sure if your evidence is acceptable, call 405-422-3187 to check.
  • Two recent passport photos

Do Not Bring

Because the fingerprinting part of your application process will be done inside the Canadian County jail, away from inmates, you cannot bring the below list inside the detention center:

  • Cell phones
  • Children
  • Purses
  • Weapons of any kind, including pocket knives

You may bring in your cell phone and purse to the records window to help facilitate access to information needed for the paper portion of the application.

Application Process

There are several steps, involving several government agencies to acquire your OSBI issued SDA license. When you appear at the Sheriff's Office for your fingerprints and local background check, we accept your application along with necessary supporting documentation. In the first step, the Sheriff’s Office will do a background check on you for Canadian County and local communities. That can take up to 14 days to complete.

Once we have completed that portion of the background, we forward your application to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI). OSBI conducts additional state and federal background checks. That process can take up to three months to complete. Once the OSBI has successfully completed all of the required background checks, they will mail your license to the address shown on the application.

For more detailed information regarding SDA licensing and the application process visit the OSBI website.

Occasionally, some individual's fingerprints are difficult to take using common fingerprinting techniques. This is more prevalent in older individuals whose fingerprints have worn down from age and certain activities. If the OSBI is unable to process the fingerprints we submitted, you will be informed by the OSBI you must resubmit your prints. The Sheriff's Office will reprint you at no additional charge.

However, in those rare circumstances that a second set of prints are unable to be lifted for background check purposes, you will need to have your prints taken at the;

OSBI Headquarters
6600 North Harvey Place
Oklahoma City, OK 73116
(405) 879-2690 or (800) 207-6724
Fax: (405) 840-8485

Should you change your address or name like for marital purposes, your should notify the OSBI of the change. For the required fee, they will send you and updated license with the changes. Your SDA license information should match your Oklahoma driver license or Identification card. Visit the OSBI website to update information on your SDA license.